In order to facilitate the progress of international student education in Liaoning Province and to expand its scale and improve its quality, Liaoning Provincial Government has approved to set up a Government Scholarship Fund to sponsor qualified international students and scholars to come to study in Liaoning. The scholarship is mostly for outstanding international students and scholars to pursue doctoral degree studies in higher education institutions in Liaoning.
The provincial Education Department is responsible for the concrete implementation and the routine management of the scholarship program. And the following are the specifics about the type of the scholarship, the application requirements, the recruiting procedures, the money management and the yearly review.
I. Scholarship type and the application requirements
“Liaoning Government Scholarship for International Students” is full scholarship for doctoral degree candidates on a 3-year program. The scholarship duration is three years and the average amount is RMB 54,000 yuan a year for each candidate, covering registration, tuition, laboratory experiment, internship, basic learning materials, lodging, comprehensive insurance, basic living allowance and the supervisor's allowance, etc. International travel expenses will be borne by the candidate himself/herself. The living allowance of RMB 1,500 yuan per month will be given to each candidate on a monthly basis.
B. Application requirements
1. The applicant must be a non-Chinese citizen in good health.
2. The applicant shall abide by the laws and decrees of the Chinese Government and the rules and regulations of the host university once accepted.
3. The applicant must have a master's degree accepted by the Ministry of Education of the People's Republic of China. He or she must not be older than 40.
4. The applicant should have competitive academic records. He/She must be recommended by two professors.
5. The applicant should not be a beneficiary of any other kind of scholarship from the Chinese Government.
II. Eligible institutions and qualifications
1. All higher education institutions in Liaoning that have been given the authority to award doctoral degrees are eligible for the scholarship programs.
2. The courses to be offered must be suitable for international students. Consideration must be given to the supervisor’s situation when foreign language proficiency is required.
3. The prospective doctorial supervisors must.
a. have obtained the title of professor and be already working as doctoral supervisors.
b. have undertaken internationally advanced project research in their professional fields.
c. have a good command of at least one foreign language.