您当前的位置 :English > About Shenyang > Welcome to Shenyang 正文
History and culture
source: Foreign Affairs Office of Shenyang Municipal People's Goverment  2018-05-10 10:27

 

7200 years ago

Human beings started farming and hunting, breeding and growing, and Xinle Culture was invented.

The Spring and Autumn Period

Important city of the state of Yan.

221 B.C.

After unification by Emperor Qin Shi Huang, China was divided into 36 counties, and Shenyang was in Liaodong County.

Western Han Dynasty

Shenyang had original scale of a city and was called “Hou City”

Tang Dynasty

The name of the city was changed into “Shen Zhou”

In the year of 921

Taizu (Emperor) of Liao Dynasty immigrated here and constructed land city. Production was developed since then.

The Jin Dynasty period

Taizu (Emperor) of Jin Dynasty attacked and occupied Shenzhou, the name of the city was remained unchanged.

In the year of 1296

Yuan Dynasty reconstructed land city and changed the name into “Shenyang Road” which belonged to Liaoyang. Since Shenyang was located in the North of Shenshui River (Hun He), according to Chinese traditional position theory which is North to the mountain is called Yin, and North to the river called Yang, therefore the name of the city Shenzhou was changed into Shenyang. Since then, “Shenyang” has been officially in the historical materials for 702 years.

In the year of 1386

In Ming Dynasty, “Shenyang Road” was changed into “Shenyang Zhongwei”.

In the year of 1625

Emperor of Qing Dynasty Nurhachi moved capital city from Liaoyang into Shenyang, and started build Imperial Palace in Shenyang.

In the year of 1643

Qing Emperor Huang Taiji changed Shenyang into “Shengjing”.

In the year of 1644

Capital city of Qing Dynasty moved into Beijing and kept Shenyang as second capital.

In the year of 1657

Feng Tian Fu was established with the meaning of “by the grace of god” in Qing Dynasty, Shenyang was also known as “Feng Tian”.

In the year of 1911

After the 1911 Revolution, Shenyang became the capital of Fengtian clique ruled by northern warlords.

In the year of 1923

City hall of Fengtian was officially established, and since then Shenyang improved into city level it its organization system.

In the year of 1929

After Chinese Reunification in 1928 (also known as Northeast Flag Replacement) by Young Marshal Mr. Zhang Xueliang, the name of Fengtian city was changed into Shenyang city.

In the year of 1931

The Japanese Imperialists launched the September 18th Incident and invaded Shenyang, the name of Shenyang city changed into Fengtian city.

In the year of 1945

After the victory of the war of Resistance Against Japanese, Shenyang city was changed back and remained since then.

November 2, 1948

Shenyang was liberated.

In the year of 1953

Shenyang became a province-level municipality under the direct domination of the central government.

In the year of 1954

Shenyang became a municipality of Liaoning Province.

In the year of 1964

The CPC Liaoning Provincial Committee decided to establish Shenyang Special Area.

In the year of 1993

Faku county and Kangping county which belonged to Tieling city was under Shenyang domination, and Xinmin county became a city.

Till now

Under Shenyang’s jurisdiction, there are 10 districts including Heping, Shenhe, Huanggu, Dadong, Tiexi, Hunnan, Yuhong, Sujiatun, Shenbei New District and Liaozhong District. There are also another 3 county level cities including Xinmin, Faku and kangping.

 

Editor: zfw05